The takeoff estimating process can be very time-consuming, and error-prone, so it can become a bottleneck in growing your business.
You often bid on commercial projects with multiple units if you are in stone/countertop, tile, and flooring contracting trades. Preparing accurate quotes to beat timelines can be a daunting process as there are too many variables and steps to get it right.
Challenges of stone takeoff estimating process
Your PMs and estimators normally go through a 3-step takeoff estimating process: (1) takeoff product/area from plans, (2) count slab/product usages, (3) create a quote based on required breakdown by the clients. The devil is in the details of each step, here are a few challenges that your PMs/estimators likely encounter in every bid.
- Product/area takeoff for larger projects is hard to track.
- Counting slab usages and layouts manually take days and hours.
- Creating quotes based on different breakdown types is very time-consuming and error-prone.
General takeoff estimating software is NOT SUFFICIENT for the stone/tile trade
General takeoff estimating software for construction trades has existed for years, systems like AutoCAD, PlanSwift, BlueBeam have been deployed for product/area takeoffs for stone/countertop and tile projects by the trade contractors, distributors, and fabricators to streamline the estimating process.
However, available takeoff software does not track the inherent unique stone product structure (such as countertop/splash/lam and edge finishes), making it hard to group them for the subsequent step quote breakdowns. General takeoff software does not provide any tools for slab optimization, leaving a gap for PMs/estimators to count manually and leave money on the table.
Excel spreadsheets CANNOT handle price quote breakdowns efficiently
Most PMs/estimators use Excel spreadsheets to track and calculate the project costs; it takes hours of time to create another each variation of a price breakdown that a customer may require. Here is an example.
Trade-specific one-stop takeoff estimating software is the Game Changer that is 10x More Productive
The inception of the MeasureSquare Stone/Tile solution has changed the game of takeoff estimating for stone trades. Here is why:
- Product/area takeoff is based on actual product assembly structure, for example, a countertop with splashes, lams and edge finishes details, so no guesswork along the project cycles.
- Counting slab usages and layout is integrated, and it is auto calculated based on the takeoff step, to save material usages with optimization ahead of time.
- Creating quotes instantly based on different breakdown types, such as material types, specs, phases, floors, unit, etc., so sales reps can respond to client price requests fast to win the bids.
MeasureSquare is the official software partner of NTCA and NSI, and its stone takeoff solution has been adopted by leading stone contractors, distributions, manufacturers including DalTile, Kemna Tile, Spectrum Quartz, Hirsch Glass.
A real multi-unit project example:
200 Unit Hyatt Regency Tower Project
200 unit Hyatt Regency Tower project, it takes about 10 hours to complete with MeasureSquare Stone, whereas it will take 3-5 days using a general software or by hand approach.
Here are the key results (outcomes/screenshots/PDFs):
- Product/area usages with product assembly structures
- Automated slab counts and optimizations
- Pricing quotes with various breakdowns
Is there a fit between MeasureSquare Stone Solution and your business?
Learn if MeasureSquare Stone is the solution you need to win more bids. Contact
Kathy Aumont, by phone at 626-683-9188 ext. 002 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and visit www.measuresquare.com to learn more about the Stone Takeoff Estimating Software.