Top five factors of your business impacting product selection
- Business type: Commercial, Retail or Multifamily or a combination
- Existing estimating process: Onsite measure, plan takeoff, or
- Current hardware platform: Windows PC/laptop/tablet based, Mac/iOS,
- Accounting/inventory managemnt system: QuickBooks or trade specific
- Staff participants and skill sets: estimators, sales reps, or
Frequently-asked Questions and Answers
If you are comparing MeasureSquare products, the following are commonly asked questions and answers
on product selection.
[ Open All
| Close All ]
1. I am an existing user. Where is the info for upgrading to MeasureSquare 8?
Here is the detailed guide on the reasons and steps for migrating to the latest MeasureSquare 8 system.
2. Should I select the mobile Mobile or Windows Desktop platform?
- 100% Commercial Contract Flooring: Select the MeasureSquare 8 Commercial Windows platform.
- 50%-80% Retail & The Remaining Is Commercial: Select the Mobile platform for your retail division and the Desktop platform for the commercial division.
- 100% Retail Flooring: Select the MeasureSquare Mobile platform or a combination that includes the Desktop platform.
If the Mobile platform is the right choice, which is the best OS to use (iOS or Android)?
MeasureSquare Mobile is available on the major mobile platforms: Apple iOS and
Google Android. It has been on Apple iOS iPad/iPhone
since 2015 with thousands of users.
As for the Android version, it has recently been released. So if you already have
Android devices (phones or tablets) and choose to stay with them, you will
expect to see frequent updates over the next few months.
4. If the Mobile platform is the right choice, do I need a laser meter to work with it for onsite measurement?
Absolutely. A laser meter can be paired with a mobile device through blue tooth so
measured sizes are transferred wirelessly into the MeasureSquare mobile app
after each measurement. This makes the measurement process fast and
5. If the Mobile platform is the right choice, what are the recommended laser meter models and where can I buy them?
Two major brands (Leica Disto and Bosch GLM) are supported.
Disto models: The list prices are $149 (E7100i), $99 (D1) and $199 (D2). These devices can be purchased online at Amazon.com or from a software partner, including us.
Bosch laser models: The list prices are $150 (GLM 50 C) and $243 (GLM 100 C), available
at local Lowe's or Home Depot stores.
The main difference among
all these models is the laser ranges. But keep in mind that even the cheaper ones measure up to 165
feet (Bosch GLM 50C, for example).
6. If the Mobile platform is the right choice, should you select the Retail or Multi-family
The Mobile Retail edition is mostly for onsite measurement and residential
flooring jobs. Although, it does work for multi-family and new construction jobs as well.
As for the Mobile Multi-family edition, it is only needed if you receive a floorplan PDF or
image photo files (.png, jpg) from your builders or contractors.
In other words, this is if you like to import plan files into a mobile device and then do the take off of rooms by tracing areas to capture the flooring areas. You can then continue on to the rest of the work like on the Mobile Retail edition. So it is a replacement for you having to go for an onsite measurement. As another use scenario, once the takeoff on the plan is completed, it can be used for onsite
7. If the Mobile platform is good for your onsite field reps, how can the office
coworkers open and edit jobs with the desktop editions?
Yes, when field reps have done onsite measurements, job files can be synced
to the MeasureSquare Cloud. Office workers can open and edit
these projects instantly with the MeasureSquare desktop edition.
This software enables you to fine tune seam layouts,
generate estimates or sales orders (which can be emailed to customers), and print out work
orders attached to floor seam plans and cutsheets for installers. So the workflow
continues in a more streamlined way instead of having to wait for field reps to turn
in the hand drawings.
8. Can field reps with the mobile edition share the same product catalog created
by office coworkers with the MeasureSquare desktop edition? And can field reps
change the price of a product item onsite?
Yes, one advantage of the MeasureSquare desktop edition is to create, edit
and manage product catalogs for a group of company users. Product
catalogs can be configured to be read-only or editable by the admin user of
In the case of at home shopping, a field rep can modify
product prices but this applies to a specific job only -- not to a catalog.
9. What is the difference between Desktop Multi-family and Desktop Commercial editions?
Can I upgrade or downgrade from one to another?
Desktop Multi-family edition is more for multi-family flooring contractors or
dealers who bid on multi-unit new construction or light commercial projects with features such as unit multiplication, estimate by unit, etc.
Desktop Commercial edition is for commercial flooring contractors who
bid on larger commercial flooring takeoff and estimating with more advacend takeoff estimating features: such as batch PDF plan import, roll and dyelot allocation, estimating by
installation phasing, randomized tile layout etc.
You can upgrade or downgrade from one edition to another to match your need.
10. Can I try out the software first and what are the steps?
Yes. You may download a fully functional trial version and try it out for 15 days. You can do this by going to the Product menu of this website and select the Mobile or Desktop product page.
After you install the program, start it up and click on Sign-Up Trial and you will then need to create a Measure Square ID. This will be the email address you want associated with your account and licenses. Once you have created an account, be sure to check your email to confirm your ID and login.
Now the program is ready for a 15-day trial.
11. How do I
purchase software license? And how do I activate my license in the program?
Schedule A Demo
Request Solution Consulation
Contact our sales team by email or phone (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-626-683-9188 Press 1 for Sales, M-F 7-5pm, Pacific Time) to get licenses assigned to your account. Please include your company name and account information.
Regarding the License Activation:
For the Desktop edition, start the program and then go to the File menu and click on the MeasureSquare ID & License option. A window will pop up, prompting you to start a trial or purchase. Click the License Manage button at the top right of the window. A new window will pop up with a list of license IDs and names. Make sure to select the license that matches the ID for the license assigned. Select Activate for that license.
As for the Mobile edition, start the program and click the Account icon. Then tap the Subscription option to find the license info. An assigned license will be activated automatically if a trial license has expired.